SEEKING INTERNSHIP APPLICANTS
The Muriel Duncan Observer Internship
We are pleased to offer a talented student the opportunity to learn and earn at the Toronto offices of The United Church Observer.
We invite those with an interest in pursuing a career in journalism,
and currently under the age of 30 and enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary institution, to apply for this summer internship. The internship offers the successful applicant $5,000 to work with Observer staff for a period of 12 weeks.
Travel assistance from your home province is also available where applicable.
Please submit your resumé, cover letter, three writing samples
and three story ideas that demonstrate your familiarity with the publication to:
David Wilson, Editor/Publisher, 478 Huron Street, Toronto ON, M5R 2R3
or e-mail dnwilson@ucobserver.org
Deadline for applications is Friday, January 29, 2010
“The Observer has the model for what a magazine internship should be. Expect to pitch stories, write stories and be involved in every aspect of production from editing to proofing. You'll learn, get clippings and even earn some money doing it. What’s not to love?”
—Chantal Braganza, one-year intern for the Toronto Star and The Observer’s 2009 intern.
“As an Observer intern, I was trusted and encouraged, given the guidance I needed, and rewarded with meaningful feedback from the magazine’s staff and readership. Opportunities this good are hard to come by. I encourage any student, even non-Christians, to apply.”
—Drew Halfnight, freelance writer and The Observer’s 2008 intern.
“From the second I walked through the door, The Observer staff treated me like a valued member of the team. I was churning out articles, copy editing and even helping with the magazine’s redesign. The Observer was a great place to jumpstart my journalism career.”
—Sarah Boesveld, reporter for the Globe and Mail and The Observer’s 2007 intern.