SEEKING INTERNSHIP
APPLICANTS
We are pleased to offer a talented student the
opportunity to learn and earn at the Toronto offices of The United Church
Observer.
We
invite those with an interest in pursuing a career in journalism, and who are currently
under the age of 30 and enrolled in a Canadian post-secondary institution, to
apply for this summer internship. The internship offers the successful
applicant $6,000 to work with Observer
staff for a period of 12 weeks.
Travel
assistance from your home province is also available where applicable.
Please
submit your resumé, cover letter, three writing samples and three story ideas
that demonstrate your familiarity with the publication to: David Wilson,
Editor/Publisher, 478 Huron Street, Toronto, ON, M5R 2R3 or e-mail dnwilson@ucobserver.org.
Deadline
for applications is Friday, Jan. 23, 2015.
“The Observer’s
internship offers what so few journalism internships provide: challenging and
exciting responsibilities, a supportive and inclusive working environment and a
pay cheque for your work. I would highly recommend this opportunity if you’re
interested in magazine journalism and would like to get some great writing and
editing experience under your belt.”
—Alison Shouldice, Ryerson master of journalism
student and The Observer’s 2014 intern
“The Observer offers one of
the best magazine internships in Canada. Not only was I paid, but they also provided
a travel budget so I could research a long-form feature that I felt passionate
about. Furthermore, I had the opportunity to practice copy-editing, write
shorter news stories and help with social media outreach.”
—May Warren, Reporter for the
Guelph Mercury and The Observer’s 2013
intern
“It’s exactly what an internship is supposed to be:
you’re part of the team, learning how to put together a great magazine. You’re not left out of anything, responsibilities included. The
atmosphere is supportive and intellectually rigorous — something other editors
and journalists know too. I feel lucky to have that great reputation on my
resumé.”
—Kasia
Mychajlowycz, New York City freelance journalist and The Observer’s 2012 intern